Award-winning Art Director / Senior Designer with over 15+ years expertise in creating innovative and engaging user experiences for businesses and brands. I am a dedicated team-player who believes that the more challenging the task the greater the end result.
SENIOR UX DESIGNER // Young & Rubicam
New York City // February 2016 – Present
In my role as the Senior User Experience Designer, I defined business requirements by identifying the target demographic, and understanding the project’s objective and goals. My highly-detailed wireframes were influential in guiding the flow and navigation of each page for both desktop and mobile platforms. I worked closely with my team to establish user personas and flows, and complex site maps, to produce interactive, information-based experiences that client’s user base could easily navigate and understand.
- Developed pages commensurate with brand guidelines across North American markets.
- Created actionable and intuitive design flows by developing a site-map and high fidelity wireframes.
- Prototyped visual design concepts, designed icons, and provided solution for a new navigation system, resulting in a better user experience.
- Collaborated with the development team and provided strategic direction to develop and test the products being produced for each client.
SENIOR ART DIRECTOR // VaynerMedia
New York City // October 2014 – October 2015
As the Senior Art Director I produced unique and engaging content for global brands such as Johnsons & Johnsons, Crown Royal, Ketel One, and Bud Light across all of their social media platforms. I was responsible for maintaining brand consistency with all projects and my team of copywriters, designers and junior-level art directors. In addition to my design work, I worked with a small video team and a group of actors to create successful pitch work for Diageo North America that won VaynerMedia six high-profile accounts – Johnnie Walker, Don Julio, Crown Royal, Ketel One, George Dickel, and Baileys.
- Johnson’s Baby – Created and maintained a global style guide that outlined the correct and proper use of typography, iconography, colors and photography for the brand. Other agencies and companies used this style guide to produce and execute content not only for social media but also for print, television commercials, and banner ads.
- Don Julio & Johnnie Walker – Worked as creative lead for a two-day, off-site shoot in New York, New Jersey and Mexico to produce two compelling videos that reinforces both brand’s messaging. Both videos were used in a successful pitch to Diageo North America. (View the Don Julio and Johnnie Walker videos.)
- Collaborated with the photo and video departments on all off-site and in-studio photoshoots.
- Created and presented robust presentations for pitch work that involved custom illustrations, photography (from off-site and in-studio photoshoots), video and animations.
SENIOR ART DIRECTOR // Showtime Networks
New York City // April 2013 – October 2014
As the Senior Art Director for www.sho.com, I created interactive experiences for original Showtime content such as Dexter, Ray Donovan, Homeland and Showtime Championship Boxing for desktop, mobile and tablet platforms.
- To celebrate the launch of Showtime’s original new series, Penny Dreadful, I created Live Wallpapers for Android mobile devices. By simply touching their screens, users could electrocute a beating heart, trace a line of blood across a map, or create cracks in a wall that sent spiders scurrying onto the screen.
- Working collaboratively with the development and tech teams, I constructed wireframes for the redesign of different pages, components and experiences on SHO.com, SHO Sports, and Showtime Anytime.
- Created and maintained the SHO.com style guide for all platforms to ensure brand accuracy and consistency across all projects.
INTERACTIVE DESIGNER // mcgarrybowen
New York City // March 2011 – April 2013
Worked as the creative lead on the redesign of DroidDoes.com for desktop and mobile devices. During this two-month project, I worked closely with the Executive Creative Director, Steve Hicks, to produce an interactive experience that immersed users in the world of Droid. The redesign not only helped drive sales of all Droid smartphones but positioned the Droid brand as a serious competitor for the iPhone.
- Designed, produced and executed the smartphone game, Droid Combat. This location-based game allowed users to create their own robots, customize its weaponry and armory, and engage other users in aerial combat. My work on this project on this project was featured in a television commercial used to promote the game.
- Created designs and storyboards for the Droid Razr Maxx HD animated banner campaign. The idea was to position the Razr Maxx HD as a state-of-the-art handheld device that could withstand damage, utilize Google apps to increase productivity, and allow customers to shoot and capture HD content.
- Designed and created a Droid-branded skin for the brand’s Pandora page. Users interacted with a dial that, based on how much it was turned, adjusted the playlist by either playing slow-, medium-, or fast-paced music. Users could switch between these options seamlessly by constantly adjusting the dial.
SENIOR DESIGNER // LBi IconNicholson
New York City // October 2008 – March 2011
- Collaborated with the UX team to lead the redesign of the MoneyGram International website. This project involved months of extensive research into the competition (Western Union) as well as conducting interviews to learn how consumers’ felt about sending and receiving money online.
- Design and execution of the Neutrogena mobile app that allowed customers to research and purchase their products online. By utilizing the smartphone GPS and camera, customers could locate where products were sold nearby and scan the UPC code to learn more about each product.
- Worked with the strategy, dev and tech teams to update and maintain Nestle Water North America’s e-Commerce website for all of their different bottled water and flavored beverage brands.
ART DIRECTOR / SENIOR DESIGNER // Magnet Media Films
New York City // October 2006 – October 2008
- Worked with the video team to produce original streaming content showcasing musicians, artists, and producers such as T-Pain, A-Trak, Erykah Badu, DJ Rap and Stefan Sagmeister.
- Designed and created packaging for training DVDs for all Apple and Adobe products (Creative Suite, Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro). These DVDs were sold in retail stores like the Apple Store and Tekserve, and were used by industry leaders and teachers.
- Created interfaces for Magnet Media’s custom Flash video player
- Maintained and archived all podcasts and videos for the company’s branded pages on iTunes and YouTube.
INFORMATION DESIGNER // TrialGraphix
Washington D.C. // May 2005 – September 2006
- Created and designed vector-based designs and illustrations for complex court cases – litigation, copyright infringement, medical malpractice.
- Consulted with attorney’s one-on-one for the analyzation and construction of all designs.
- Collaborated with the animation department and produced interactive timelines and presentations.
Testimonials.I worked closely with Hevan on numerous projects and was always impressed with both his ever-renewing creativity and the speed of his execution. Receptive to new ideas yet able to convincingly support his own direction without stepping on toes, he’s a designer and a team player in equal measure.
Associate Creative Director / Senior Copywriter at McCann
Hevan is exactly what I look for in a Designer. Attention to detail, flexibility, creative innovation, drive, cooperative spirit, and an unsurpassed curiousity both artistically and technically… not to mention a great musical taste. With a finger always on the pulse of modern design and culture, he continuously amazed me with his ability to reinvent staid ideas into cutting edge designs that were both beautiful and functional. I was very lucky to work with Hevan, and hope to again in the future.
Executive Programme Manager at Usablenet
From day 1, Hevan’s design work has continually impressed both our clients and our community. The visual transformation of Zoom In’s brand was in a large part due to Hevan’s artistic vision. He’s been a terrific asset to the company.
Founder/CEO, Magnet Media, Inc.
University of the Arts
Philadelphia, PA // 2000-2004
Graduated with BFA in Multimedia
Areas of study: Graphic Design, Digital Photography, Animation
Maryland Institute, College of Art
Baltimore, MD // 1999-1999
Areas of study: Graphic Design
- Creative Design & Art Direction
- Applications: Adobe Creative Suite – Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Lightroom
- Concepting and leading brainstorms for new business and pitch work
- Visually compelling and effective design for client presentation in Keynote
- User Interface & User Experience Design
- Applications: OmniGraffle, Sketch
- Highly detailed wireframes
- Rapid prototyping
- User flows, personas and scenarios
- Usability testing
- Video & Animation
- Final Cut Pro
- Ableton Live
- After Effects
- Front-End Development
- HTML and CSS
- 2004 Getting Legs Film Festival – Official Selection “Graffiti As An Artform”
- 2004 Film Loop Festival – Official Selection “Graffiti As An Artform”
- 2011 Web Marketing Association Awards – Outstanding Website “Droid Observation/Evaluation Selector”
Who I’ve Worked With.
Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, Verizon Wireless, Diageo North America (Crown Royal, Ketel One, Baileys, Johnnie Walker, Don Julio, George Dickel), Anheuser Busch (Bud Light, Budweiser, Shock Top, Michelob Ultra), Pepsi Co., JP Morgan Chase, MoneyGram International, Nestle Waters North America, Neutrogena, Disney, Johnson & Johnson, Bristol-Meyers Squibb, Southwest Medical Associates, Optum & Optum Care, WebMD, RotoQL, Robin Hood Foundation, Sundance Film Festival, Lanfranc, Credit Suisse, National Grid, MasterCard, Focus Features.